Thursday, September 20, 2007

War Stories

It wasn't until I was away from Texas and older that I wished that I had a good grasp on my grandfather's war stories. He was in the Navy during WWII on a troop transport ship called the Attala (APA 130). As I got older I wanted to know more about my grandfather's exploits in the Navy and since not living in near him anymore I was unable to ask. However while he was here for vacation I was able to ask him about his time in the service. I was also able to document the conversations afterworlds and will type it up soon. I hope to share it with the rest of my family also as I'm sure they would like to know and hopefully would have more to add to it.

I'd suggest everyone getting those stories out of their relatives because that is something you'll always cherish passing down through the generations.

4 comments:

Making A Modern Family said...

While you two were talking, 'Nese mentioned that she wished we had a tape recorder. It would have been neat to have the stories recorded in his voice. Still though, I'm glad you got to hear them. I know how much it means to you.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

One of my favorite things to do at my Grandpa's when I was little was to listen to all his WWII stories and look at pictures of him in uniform. I also LOVED hearing my Grandma's side of being the girl back home and about how my dad was almost two before he got to meet his daddy. No wonder I ended up in the Army and married a soldier. :)
Love your blog! I'll have to send my hubby a link. I'm sure you guys have a lot in common.

Keri said...

I can't wait to read your memories!

Jenni said...

That's so cool, my dh's grandpa was in the Navy during WWII also. He worked as a mechanic on an aircraft carrier. He said he worked on the mustangs. He never said much about the war itself and didn't like to talk about it much, so we didn't push. I do wish he could have told our boys some stories before he left this world. They are fascinated with the subject.