Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Crying Man

Today as you know is September 11th. I being the American-Man have a strong sense of nationalistic pride. This becomes very apparent if you step into either my home or work office and if you look at the back of my car. I am proud I don't just stop at showing my pride in those two places but unfortunately I can't say I was able to show my pride in a bright and shining way.

That way would have been by being able to serve in the military with those of my generation who are now putting their lives on the line for what was started 6 years ago today. The military talk will have to come on another post but this "want" makes me very emotional at times.

Case in point was today driving home from the post office. It was just me and my 6 month old son in the car and a song came on the radio that I'd heard once before but couldn't catch all the words due to two screaming kids. Well today I was able to listen to them all and they hit home really hard. I was waiting for the phone number to be broadcast on the station so I could request "Have You Forgotten" by Darryl Worley but Tim McGraw's "If You're Reading This" came on the radio. I was excited as it was the song I had missed just days before due to screaming kids.

But as I sat there driving down the road each verse hit me deeper and deeper. The song pretty much is a death letter. A death letter being a letter a soldier writes in the event that he never makes it home. It is the last words a soldier might get with his family and loved ones. This one pretty much sums up the fact that he is not coming home and that he'll rest in a little field back home. He tells his family not to feel bad and that was sorry he had to go. The story and ends with "If you're reading this I'm already home".

Each time I hear this phrase in the song it brings a tear to my eyes. It sums up the story of all the brave American men and women since 9/11 who have sacrifice their life for everything I hold dear to my heart. For this I thank them, I remember them and I will strive to someday be able to do something worthy of their sacrifice.

Humbly,
Shelby

2 comments:

Making A Modern Family said...

You always have such a simple but eloquent way of stating things. One of the many qualities I love about you.

Anonymous said...

you are one of the coolest people i know.